- Databases A-Z
- Journals A-Z
- Faculty Resources
- Back to Homepage
- Site Index
Study Zones and Noise Levels
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
While the Library Faculty and Staff want to provide an environment that is friendly and comfortable for our users, we must emphasize that the library is a center for learning. Some people need a quiet study place to learn, while others learn best through group collaboration. It is also a center for teaching, since here Library Faculty and Staff instruct individuals and groups in the use of certain tools and materials.
To create an environment that serves both styles of learners (the contemplative and the group-oriented) while also accommodating the library's teaching function, we have divided library areas into two distinct types of study zones-each with a different noise level expectation:
- Reading/Study Zones – Intended to serve as a quiet sanctuary for readers and students who need to concentrate. In these zones only LOW-LEVEL talking is permitted.
- Active Learning Zones – Usually busy and noisy, these zones are intended for instructional and/or collaborative learning experiences. Here, MODERATE-LEVEL talking is expected.
- First Floor
- The NewsStand and Current Journals areas
- The General Study Area toward the front of the building
- Study carrels in the 1st floor Government Documents area
- Mezzanine Area
- Computer Labs
- Second Floor
- THE ENTIRE SECOND FLOOR IS DESIGNATED AS THE QUIET ZONE. Please keep conversations in the Seminar and Group Study Rooms at a reasonable noise level.
- Third Floor
- Study carrels
Active Learning Zones
- First Floor
- The Information Commons and research/study area in the Reference area
- Second and Third Floors
- Seminar and Group Study Rooms. Please keep conversations in the Seminar and Group Study Rooms at a reasonable noise level.
Other Noise Level Considerations
- Please keep in mind that the second floor Seminar Room and all Group Study Rooms (2nd and 3rd floors are NOT sound proof. Some noise is to be expected during library tours and other special events.
- Some noise is to be expected during library tours and other special events.
Cell Phone and Beeper Policy
Please turn off the ringer on any cell phone, beeper or other electronic device when you enter the library.
In consideration of other library users, we ask that you respect these library study zone designations and noise level policies and modify your level of conversation accordingly.