- Databases A-Z
- Journals A-Z
- Faculty Resources
- Back to Homepage
- Site Index
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Simon Schwob (1886-1954), a Columbus industrialist and philanthropist was a strong supporter of the movement to establish a college in Columbus. He was also concerned with the charitable and religious activities in the Columbus community. In line with Schwob's interests, the Simon Schwob Foundation was incorporated in 1949 as a religious, charitable, and educational foundation.
Columbus State University began as Columbus College in September of 1958. The Columbus College Library opened in the fall of 1959. Located in a room of the old Shannon Hosiery Mill on Talbotton Road in Columbus, the library had 4,350 square feet of floor space and a seating capacity of 166.
The Simon Schwob Foundation was a supporter in the movement to build facilities to house a higher education institution in Columbus. In January 1963, Columbus College named its library, then located in its Administration Building, the Simon Schwob Memorial Library.
The new Simon Schwob Memorial Library opened in its current location in March of 1975. The 85,000 square foot facility cost $2.5 million. The look of the Library has changed through the years in keeping with its mission to provide library and information resources, instruction and other services that promote and enrich intellectual, personal growth, and scholarship. The Simon Schwob Memorial Library continues its commitment to provide CSU Students and Faculty, as well as the Columbus community, the very best the Library has to offer.